Luke's Mummy

Saturday, July 29, 2006

What's In A Name?

Its funny how you act when a member of the cloth is due in your house, when Richard and I were waiting for Marion the other day I reminded myself of my lovely Nanna and how she would act when the doctor was due to call, I had polished our living room within an inch of itself, the cats had been banished to the yard (for fear of them letting off their deadly pooh gasses) and I had even changed the loo roll in the bathroom. Why do we feel the need to do that? I mean, she didn't visit the loo once while she was here, and I'm sure she would have been just as happy to use the half full roll (unless she of course, had a unmentionable problem). I decrumbed the kitchen floor and changed my tea towels (only clean that morning). Bizarre behaviour.

She was actually really interesting to talk to, and bearing in mind how we felt about the situation with my friend Nikki's child and her wanting a christening pretty sharpish due to her teminally ill father, we did end up seeing her point of view (sort of).

It transpired that Marion isn't really that concerned about attendance at church every single week, what she is more interested in is that the parents of the child truly do believe in God when they say their Vows at the Christening, after all, we are saying them on behalf of Luke and promising to bring him up in the way of God. So, we had a good old chat and told her how we felt about it all and decided that we would go ahead with the preparation for Luke's Christening. This involves Marion coming to our house once a week for about three weeks and chatting to us and doing some Gospel reading homework. So, we kind of feel a bit happier about it at the moment. Just thought I'd fill you in on that.

What I really wanted to talk about was the fact that since I've been going out and about with Lukey (for the past three years) something has really bugged/amused me about myself and other parents, see what you think...

Luke and I were at Play Barn (lovely soft play area in Frodsham). We noticed a blonde lady smiling at us from up on top of the playscape, we both waved and smiled back and then Luke piped up "It's Lewis's mummy". Off he bounded and started to chat with her and I duly followed. She is a lovely lady, really cool to talk to and so funny. She lives in Runcorn, is 28 years old, full time mum, husband a firefighter based in Chester, she comes to Play Barn once a week and hates watching too much kids tv. What, I hear you cry, has all that got to do with the price of fish? The point I'm making is that I only know her as "Lewis's mummy". I haven't got a clue what her christian name is. I know all that other stuff but no idea what her name is.

I could tell you the same kind of stuff about 10 other mums and quite a few dads too. It isn't a case of me losing the ability to have conversations, I have made lots of acquaintances out and about around Runcorn/Widnes/Frodsham but we never ever swap names. Oh yes, we enquire about their offspring, "how old is he/she" "how did you find the MMR jab?" "is he/she out of nappies?" "Does he eat out of the cat bowls as well, or is that just Luke?" but we never ever ask what each other's names are. It is soooooo bizarre.


It doesn't help matters when you go to Tumble Tots or Gym Babies, the kid gets to wear a badge with his/her name on but the parents fly solo, therefore you are forced to refer to people as "Lukes Mummy" or "Sarah's Daddy".

It's getting to the stage now though that I am sort of psyching myself up to ask the question, from the minute I spot a lone parent trying to look enthusiastic at 9.30am when their toddler is wanting to be pushed on the swings, I recite in my head "and what is your name" (Naah too crappy) "sorry, my name is Paula ... you are?" (Naaah too apologetic) and so on.

I really think that this problem should be addressed at anti natal classes along with the breathing techniques. "Be prepared to only be known in future as (insert childs name here) Mummy".

Or, is it different outside of Runcorn? Oooooh do tell.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hahaha have to laugh ,Paula..why do you say 'Sorry my name is Paula'? I just talk a while then say 'I am Norma by the way' ..it works every time..when I am on the 'phone or meet someone in authority I say 'Hello,I am Norma Carter... it's so easy when you have done it many times...try it and be proud of your name...I am! xx I am enjoying your comments,Paula..

     
  • At 10:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I always give people a wrong name so they can't find me later on!

     
  • At 8:17 PM , Blogger Vetmommy said...

    I ask their name and give mine, but usually find the next time we meet, we've both forgotten what it was! Oh well!

     
  • At 6:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's a fine thing to teach your Grandchildren,Eric :o( make them proud of their name is what I say.. isn't this Blog great?

     
  • At 2:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So true, Luke's mummy! Loving your blogs.. keep em comin honey!
    Love Cameron and Liam's mummy!
    xxxx

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home