Luke's Mummy

Monday, June 04, 2007

Lately I've been ....

So, I spent the last three months working at the instrumentation company ...... I survived (just about), they wanted me to stay on with the idea that I would become permanent staff next year but I declined their kind offer on the basis that I would rather boil my head in oil than spend another day there. Honestly, the office politics were unbelievable, so many chiefs and hardly any indians (well, they had me I suppose). I think that I have spent too long at home being a mummy, I just can't cope with idiots anymore, I used to be able to just let it wash over me when people were being arseholes but now, it really gets to me. I don't know what I am going to do when Luke starts full time school in September (!!), I really want to get back to working but I don't think I could cope with being back in an office all day. Maybe I just need to find the right place.

One of the things that got me down so badly was the fact that I had a spell about a month in to the contract when Luke got really sick, he had both eyes infected, a vomiting bug and also really bad hayfever, all within a couple of weeks. Of course, I couldn't put him into nursery so had to take time off with him (unpaid). I got called into the office by the girl child who was my supervisor and told that people (her) weren't happy with the amount of time I had taken off (4 days in total) and that things had to improve. I mentioned to her as calmly as I could that I really didn't choose to have to take time off (unpaid) as I still had to pay the nursery even when Luke wasn't in and that there really wasn't a lot I could do about it, if he is ill he will always be my priority (went down like a bag of sick). Ho hum.

I did enjoy the challenge though, you know, learning new stuff, realising that my brain was still able to function at a higher level, knowing that I was doing a good job (no, really, I did actually do a good job). Must admit though, I did find it bloody hard work balancing it all out, don't know how the heck other people do it (Jenn). I was working 8.30 until 12.30 five days a week, had to drop Luke off at 8.00am. By the time I had finished work and picked him up at 1.00pm we were both knackered, moody and very irritable (not a good combination). Then of course, I had to do the chores which meant I didn't really have a lot of quality time with Luke ...... really crappy. We had to try and cram it all in at weekends!!

So I decided last Wednesday to call it a day, I'd fullfilled the three month contract and chose to not extend it. Feel so relieved. Luke is back to his 9.00 - 11.30am sessions which don't include school holidays (yay), he is really happy about it, we can get back to doing all the fun stuff again.

There you go, now you know where I've been.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM , Blogger Vetmommy said...

    Wow I am so glad that you posted again! It sounds like work was pretty overwhelming. Work for me is great because I love what I do, I love (most) of the people I work with, and it's a break from the drugery of domesticity. However, I could not do it without Anthony's help, dropping off/picking up the kids while I work, getting dinner on the table, then kids bathed and ready for bed before I get home.

    I'll bet if you found the right part-time job, it would be as sweet as pie for you, too.

     
  • At 2:22 AM , Blogger paula said...

    I reckon you are so right, I just need to find my niche again. XXX

     
  • At 8:28 AM , Blogger get2eric said...

    Glad to see you are posting again. As to niches, I'd like to find mine too. Trouble is, I'm getting too old and achey to do much good with a niche. And callings? I wouldn't hear it unless it yelled.

     
  • At 10:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    try working in a shop,Paula...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home