Luke's Mummy

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Why Toilet Training Is A CRAPPY Idea

Toilet training was something that I had been dreading for ages and ages and ages (actually since Luke was conceived). Luke and I decided (yes it was pretty much a mutual decision) to embark on this dreadful process about 6 weeks ago and I have to admit that he was amazingly quick to train. Thing is though, I'm starting to miss pull-ups .....

Luke has now started to develop "toilet humour". Oh yes, something which I had never really thought possible in a "just 3" year old child. He has taken to prancing around public places clutching his willy shouting "I need a wee wee" or even worse stopping dead in the middle of Church Street (busy main street in Runcorn) crouching down and yelling "oh no, think I need a poooohhhhh!!!!". At first, I was alarmed by this, would grab his arm marching him to the nearest public toilet only for him to grin and shout "not really, just practising". I was impressed by his eagerness to learn but now it's wearing a little thin.

He now wakes me up at 2.00am, 3.00am or 4.00am for a wee. Yes, very, very good of him to not wet his night time nappy but, really, I wouldn't mind on the odd occasion just to be sociable. I've tried restricting his night time glass of water but no, the little darling still gets up for a leak.

Wiping his bum is just not pleasant, and he insists on having a go himself .....enough said.

I don't get to go the toilet during the day on my own anymore. He now thinks it's a sociable event and even takes his toys in with him to sit and watch me "go". Then when I'm finished he claps me.

He is getting very "over interested" in the ladies toilets, thinks various dispensing machines are arcade games, and the other day we went in, he wrinkled his nose in disgust and he shouted "ooooh someone's had a good old pooh in here" just as a little old lady was walking out of the cubicle.

He always has to "go"just as we are walking out of the door.

So, if anyone out there is struggling with the idea of potty training, do yourself a favour and maybe leave it a little while, just relish the "freedom" of the pull up.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    sad (or glad Im not sure) to say I miss most of this while Im at work although there are a few of my male colleagues who are, judging by the state of the gents, just behind luke in his toilet development. Must say though, Im really proud of the way you have handled the whole thing. Lukes a lucky boy to have such a lovely Mummy xx

     
  • At 9:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hahahahaaha I am falling off my chair with your description of your little lad's escapades,Paula!!! so ..he has a lavatorial sense of humour,huh? just like his great- Nanna Emily and the rest of us!so much more fun than 'heard the one about the Englishman,Scotsman and Irishman'..I bet that little old lady felt embarrassed when he said THAT!!! when are you coming to see us?...

     
  • At 10:41 AM , Blogger paula said...

    Ooooh, I was only thinking about coming to see you about an hour ago. Must sort it out with Mum, she is in a lot of pain at the moment with her knee and is a bid fed up with it, but am sure we could fit in a visit to you and Uncle Noel.

     
  • At 9:11 PM , Blogger Vetmommy said...

    I have nothing good to say about toilet training - definitely do not ask me for any pointers. Unless you're talking DOG toilet training - I can do that in about a week!

    Actually, compared to a year ago, toilet issues are much better at our house. Maybe next year we can even get rid of the diaper changing table.... such dreams!

     
  • At 8:54 AM , Blogger Emily said...

    Ha ha ha! Sorry it's horrifying and humiliating for you, Paula, but Luke's antics do make for good stories!

     
  • At 4:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Who do you think he gets his lavatorial sense of humour from then eh?

    Ooooh I could make your toes curl with embarrassment with some of your lavatorial exploits if I chose to reveal them to your unsuspecting family ... *grins evilly*

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home