Luke's Mummy

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Nap

Sorry I've not posted for ages but I've been a tad weary lately.

The two things I've dreaded since Luke was a little one were Potty Training (as previously posted) and The End of The Nap, the latter finally happened about two weeks ago (yawn) and was actually not Luke's idea.

Luke has always been a really good napper, some afternoons he could be snoozing away for 3 hours and still be back in bed for another 12 hour sleep a few hours later but recently (actually about the time that he became dry throughout the night) he had started to wake up after a few hours and seemed restless during the night. He'd always been a really sound sleeper so Richard and I decided to drop off the afternoon nap and see how he got on. Well, RESULT!! Yes, I now have a very tired Luke, in fact, come 6.00pm he is visibly dropping poor little thing, and by 7.00pm he is practically leaping into his bed. And as for me, well, .....

I'M BLOODY KNACKERED!!!!!

By 1.00pm I'm yawning! You see, when Lukey Sam was napping I did Paula things. Y'know, having an entire hot cup of tea (I don't think that parents actually drink full cups of hot beverages, we always end up abandoning them on work surfaces to do other things, like rescuing small kids from precarious situations), checking emails, maybe typing out a blog, flicking through the newspaper, watching 30 minutes of adult tv, and oh, yes, IRONING. I haven't been able to do any ironing since the nap was cruelly snatched away, I find it impossible to happily iron while Luke is around. Don't know why, but, Luke can happily play in his room for 40 minutes or so on his own but the minute I get the ironing board out he suddenly requires my full attention. Grrrrrr. Yes, those golden nap times were my little mid afternoon reward to myself and I would feel refreshed, revitalised and AWAKE.

So, that is why come 7.00pm when Luke is safely ensconced in his bed I limp downstairs with Richard, wash the tea dishes, think about ironing, consider checking emails, wonder about my blog and then fall asleep to be woken by my husband a little while later who then wonders why I'm unsympathetic about his tiring day at work.

But hey, Luke sleeps through 'till 7.00am without a single disturb (oh yes, apart from that 4.00am wee break.

Zzzzzzzzz

12 Comments:

  • At 10:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WAKE UP,PAULA!!!! you are coming on in leaps and bounds with your little Boy..and if you are holding down a job as well..what the heck do you expect..no wonder you are tired,love. The age that Luke is now is well known to be one of the most tiring for a Mother (and Dad) so congratulate yourself ...you is doing good,Girl! xx

     
  • At 7:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I hear you. I feel your pain. I can't stand it when we have a mutiny on naps around here. The beach was so great for naps because all that playing in the sand and sun tuckered them out and forced them to succumb to the nap. At home it's been a little more hit and miss. And boy, having a full day of kids PLUS them being cranky and unreasonable due to the lack of nap is TOUGH!

    A friend of mine invoked the quiet time thing. Her kids have to spend an hour "reading" or doing something else quietly in their rooms during the afternoon so mom gets a break. Works for her.

    Hugs and kisses sweet, tired cousin!

     
  • At 1:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Afternoon naps .... I love 'em! For me I mean ;o)

     
  • At 11:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh honey I so know what you're talking about. It's a complete myth that when your kids go to bed at 7.00pm you can then become the "perfect housewife" and do the tea/ironing/dusting/hoovering/kitchen from top to bottom, you know, like they suggest on those annoying daytime tv programmes! In fact, on the aforementioned programmes, they somehow manage to get the house completely immaculate WHILE THE KIDS ARE UP?!?!? Ehhhh whats that all about!!! by the way have you ever wondered where they keep their washing?!?!?!? My house has telltale ironing piles and also airers with drying mainly baby clothes!!!!
    Ahhhh the naps were a wonderful thing! xxxxxxxxx

     
  • At 7:32 AM , Blogger Emily said...

    You "happily iron"??? Ironing is one of the things I avoid and procrastinate on. I don't know why, but I really dread it.

    Sorry naptime is over. Will he be starting school soon?

     
  • At 3:28 PM , Blogger Vetmommy said...

    I do not iron. I specifically buy everything "NON-WRINKLE" and happily sleep on wrinkly sheets. What a waste of effort, in my opinion. I know some people get into a Zen-like trance with the repetitive simple nature of ironing. Not me.

    Paula, you need to find a good insulated covered mug. The ones that are all stainless steel are as good as a thermos at keeping your beverage hot, and the lid minimizes spills!

    And, ditto on the end of naps. WAH!

     
  • At 5:45 AM , Blogger paula said...

    Actually I hate ironing it's just that I get really stressed seeing it mount up in a pile in the corner of my bedroom. I'm now getting to the stage where I am attempting to disguise it with an assortment of bathrobes and maybe the odd decorative throw. I am attempting to turn it into a "feature".

    Thanks for the insulated mug idea Jenn!

     
  • At 2:43 PM , Blogger paula said...

    Emily, forgot to mention, yes Lukey starts pre school on Tuesday next week (bless).

     
  • At 10:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well I have a bit of sound advice (lump it or leave it..it works) first make up your mind that you ARE going to climb that mountain of ironing...then start with the smallee things ..clear your mind that you are 'ironing' you are getting to make that pile of lovely clean washing straightened out...it's not called ironing now...it's called 'pressing' :o) so think of Brad Pitt or some other Hunk and press away,Girl!! if by any chance this tip does not work...sing,sing,sing...now I know for sure THAT helps..:o) xx

     
  • At 6:55 PM , Blogger Vetmommy said...

    Ahem... new month, almost half over. I know you're tired, but update, please!

     
  • At 12:45 AM , Blogger paula said...

    Ok Ok, I'll dish up the new stuff later (hopefully), just dashing around trying to get ready while Luke has his branflakes (??). Due in preschool in less than 30 mins (aarggh!!!). XXXXX

     
  • At 5:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good day! 

    How do you change the size of your monitor?

    By the way, I love that too!  How did you find that?  

    See you soon! Girly Girl 


    how I make money with paid surveys

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home