Luke's Mummy

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Croissant and Clutter

Luke finally went back to school today after what felt like a huge festive break, was a bit "iffy" about sending him really as he had picked up a really horrible cold virus which left him housebound for a couple of days, still he didn't have a temperature this morning and seemed ok about going in (eventually), but he was reluctant to eat much brekky and when I picked him up he hadn't eaten much lunch (just his raw peppers and cucumber). This really freaks me out, I am rubbish at handling him not eating. Now commonsense tells me that when you have a head cold you don't always want to eat, but if Luke turns down a few meals I hate it. I sit there for 30 minutes trying to coax him into eating as if missing a couple of days worth of food is going turn him into an undernourished waif. This boy has plenty of meat on his bones and usually is a good eater so really I should just calm it down a bit. But still, after him picking at his pasta and fish at tea time and turning down a couple of jaffa cakes I was waving a croissant at him come bedtime which I am sure he only ate just to shut me up.

I was just pondering as I was unloading the drier for what felt like the tenth time today why I am such a cluttered person. I have always since childhood wanted to be the kind of person who has perfectly kept drawers/cupboards/handbags but I have never ever achieved it. Oh yes, I tend to have a clear out a few times a year where I can quite happily fill a few bin liners worth of crap, you know, odd socks/shoes/playing cards/biros/shoe boxes full of tissue/broken toys (and that's just one drawer!). It all gets chucked away to reveal a perfectly lovely spacious place, then the remaining stuff gets all put away neatly and I can relish opening the drawer/cupboard/handbag/desk for a few days and marvel at the neatness until about a month later by which time it has become a crap trap again.

It doesn't help that my mum has become irritatingly tidy since she retired, all her things are folded neatly in drawers (even her plastic bags in the kitchen are stashed in one tidy place, unlike mine that tend to attack you when you open my kitchen base unit). My mother in law also regularly puts me to shame, she actually smoothes out and folds paper bags and has them all in a little pile in her cubby hole in the kitchen. You open any drawer in my mum's flat or MIL's house and it is all lovely and neat, everything is placed in with care unlike in my house where it looks as though things have been chucked in from a great distance.

Still, I suppose being neat and tidy can be quite boring at times, I mean where oh where is the excitment factor, for instance, Luke's cupboards under his bed were a complete mess, he went rummaging yesterday for a piece of his train set and was soooooo overwhelmed with happiness when he discovered his long lost light saber!!! See makes it all right doesn't it!

3 Comments:

  • At 6:10 PM , Blogger Vetmommy said...

    Ha ha! I can identify, cousin! Great post.

     
  • At 3:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    We uncluttered our garage when we moved to Houston by giving away items we don't use. Now we have a tidy garage but I have to borrow the same things I gave away or buy a replacement. So much for neatness.

    Also, in the house we have one closet that is a complete shambles. When you open the door you you need to be wearing a hard hat. But we keep it locked so it's not a danger to the kids.

     
  • At 6:52 AM , Blogger Emily said...

    I go in spurts. At times, I'm pretty tidy and other times, things are a complete mess. I feel the need to do some "spring cleaning" soon...the chaos is beginning to overwhelm my small flat.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home